The most famous Greek savoury pies are Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tiropita (cheese pie). With these two pies as a starting point, you may create limitless versions by including your favourite ingredients or those that are in season. Some Greek cheese pies feature only feta cheese and (maybe) a few eggs, while others may contain a variety of cheeses.
Hortopita, also known as “a pie with greens,” is cousins with Spanakopita and contains a variety of leafy greens, including white mustard greens, stinging nettle, chard, amaranth, dandelions, and other wild things that, in modern times, only our grandmothers are still capable of finding and gathering from the village countryside.
Most will use store bought filo as it not only saves time, but the quality is also good (especially if you like it very thin and crispy). Shop fine Greek Olive oil and Greek products online here!
INGREDIENTS FOR SPANAKOPITA:
For the Spinach and Feta Filling:
* 16 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
* 2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, stems trimmed, finely chopped
* 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
* 3 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil. Shop fine Greek Olive oil and Greek products online here!
* 4 eggs
* 1 pound (16 oz.) quality Greek feta cheese, crumbled
* 2 tsp dried dill weed
* Freshly-ground black pepper
Photo by: The Hungry Bites
For the Crust:
* 1 16 oz package filo (#4 pastry sheets), properly thawed (see tips above)
* 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Before you begin mixing the filling, be sure the spinach is very well drained, and squeeze out any excess liquid by hand.
3. To make the filling: In a mixing bowl, add the spinach and the remaining filling ingredients. Stir until all is well-combined.
4. Unroll the filo sheets and place them between two slightly damp kitchen cloths.
5. Prepare a 9 ½” X 13″ baking dish. Brush the bottom and sides of the dish with olive oil.
6. To assemble the spanakopita: Line the baking dish with two sheets of filo letting them cover the sides of the dish. Brush with olive oil. Add two more sheets in the same manner, and brush them with olive oil. Repeat until two-thirds of the filo is used up.
7. Now, evenly spread the spinach and feta filling over the filo crust. Top with two more sheets, and brush with olive oil.
8. Continue to layer the filo sheets, two-at-a-time, brushing with olive oil, until you have used up all the sheets. Brush the very top layer with olive oil.
9. Fold the flaps or excess from the sides, you can crumble them a little. Brush the folded sides well with olive oil. Cut Spanakopita part way through into squares, or you may leave the cutting for later.
10. Bake in the 350°F heated-oven for 1 hour, or until the filo crust is crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven. Finish cutting into squares and serve. Enjoy! Kali orexi!